Friday, June 1, 2007

Nature Notes

Today I went for a sit in the woods. I went up the Poplar Tree trail until the ground was fairly level and then sat on a log and watched and listened from about 2:45 to 3:30.

When I first sat down I noticed that the woods were very quiet with only a little bit of bird song off in the distance. After I sat still about 15 minutes, I there were more birds singing and they were also closer than before. I was not able to identify any of the bird songs, nor see the birds themselves. I heard one call that I thought sounded very interesting--it was a clicking sort of call that started off very quiet and then both slowed and got louder toward the end of the call and then dropped off in volume before stopping. I think next time I do this I will need to remember to take a tape recorder.

After I sat probably close to 30 minutes, a very small mouse like animal--actually I think it was a mole--appeared about 10 feet in front of me and started rooting around in the fallen leaves. I could barely see it except when it moved, because it was very well camouflaged against the leaves. I don't think it even knew I was there. If I rustled the leaves with my foot it would dart into hiding, but then reappear within a minute after I was still again. I also saw another small furry creature farther away, but I could not see it well enough tell what it was.

Also I forgot to mention from last weekend, I saw a rather large snapping turtle along-side Bernhiem's main road toward the Visitor Center just after entering the main gate.

Also, on the same day on the Jackson Yoe trail, I found some whorled loosestrife. I'd never seen it before and but thought it was worth looking up. According to _Wildflowers of Mammoth Cave National Park_ it is 'infrequent' so I guess that means it was a nice find.

No comments: